- Select lot
- Check for water service
- Place conditional to purchase on lot
- Check availability of building permit
- Check architectural restrictions or development controls
(do you require an elevation check?)
- Check availability of Hydro
- Check availability of Phone Service
- If they are not in there you will have to pay for them
- Arrange for liability insurance on lot
- Purchase Lot
- Select the floor plans
(it doesn't matter where you get the floor plan. You can even draw your own.)
- Get preliminary plans drawn (if from your own sketch)
- Make changes to preliminary drawings if required
- Obtain full blueprints (allow plenty of time!)
- Obtain sub trade costing
- Check out all sub trades
- Submit fully prepared mortgage application
- Apply for a building permit (allow at least 3-4 weeks)
- Receive mortgage approval
- Verify inspections, specifications, soil and water tests as required by lender or city
- Confirm lot purchase
- Arrange interim financing
- Survey lot prior to excavating
- Verify surveyor has correct plot plan and grade levels
- Pick up building permit
- Notify all chosen trades of schedule and have pre construction discussions
- Establish line of credit and sign contracts with sub trades
- Arrange for and pre order material requiring extended lead time.
(kitchen cabinets, plumbing specialties, floor coverings, etc.)
- Arrange fire, theft/accident insurance
- Arrange concrete and gravel delivery
- Inspect lot for damage to services and/or city side walks prior to construction
- Photograph all existing damages to city owned property prior to construction
- Get soil tested if required
(Check with town or municipality)
- Contact telephone, gas company and city for location of all buried pipe and cables.
- Contact electrician for permit and temporary power hook up.
- Confirm sub trade schedule.
- Meet with contractor to discuss your requirements
- Install sign on property. Name, Lot number, Block, plan number.
- Arrange for workers compensation coverage.
- Verify all permits have been sent for
- Contact and schedule excavator for day one.
- Contact basement contractor for day two.
- Check for basement window sizes.
- Schedule framers.
- Arrange for elevation check for day one.